I teach in the undergraduate Computer Science program and the Data Science master’s program at New College of Florida.
I joined the faculty of New College in the fall of 2013, and I defined the requirements for the Computer Science Area of Concentration (AOC, or major) that academic year. As of 2017 the department has four regular faculty and 42 students in the AOC.
In the spring of 2014 I helped begin planning the structure and curriculum of the New College Data Science master’s program. The program began in January, 2016, and the first cohort of seven students graduated in May, 2017.
Senior thesis students
- David Duffrin, 2017. “Estimating the Pronunciation of Japanese Kanji.”
- Ben Carothers, 2017. “Building Monitored, Secured, And Self-sustaining IOT Hydroponic Gardens.”
- Vinushka Schalk, 2016, software engineer at Akamai Technologies, Inc. “Silicon Chemist 3: Guiding students through electron flow pathways”, with a Web application for solving chemical reaction problems.
- David Weinstein, 2015. “Infocatch: A more powerful feed provider built on Webscraping.”
- Calvin Troutt, 2015. “Competency Assessment and IRT”, with a Web application for the New College Calculus readiness test.
My recent research has been in discrete structures and mixing rates of Markov chains, health informatics, and Internet measurement.
I’m organizing a workshop LADS 2018 which will take place at New College January 12-13, 2018.
2013-present: Assistant Professor of Computer Science, New College of Florida.
2000-present: Architect/Senior Architect, Akamai Technologies, Inc.
PhD 1993, MIT. Student of Michael Sipser.